Monday, December 8, 2014

Once Upon a Time I had Ducks

I always wanted ducks so a couple of years ago I decided that even though I didn't have a pond it would still be okay to get a few and just provide them with a swimming pool.  Little did I know how much work that would entail, especially in the winter when I could no longer fill their pool using an outdoor hose.  

With each animal that I own I do everything I can to make their life wonderful.  I always ask myself this one thing:  If I were a duck or a chicken or a horse or cat or dog, would I feel lucky living here?  If I can't answer a resounding YES! then I'm not doing it right.

So, back to the ducks.  Winters in Maine are harsh, and sometimes even that is an understatement.  But ducks love to swim so when the temperatures reached 20 degrees I lugged many buckets of water out for them, warm water, mind you, so they could have a nice, warm bath!  Crazy, I know, but like I said, if I were those ducks I would want my caretaker to lug water for me so I could take a warm winter bath.  And so I did this, day after day after day.  

I'm no spring chicken myself and after awhile my arms ached terribly.  I need my arms for the work that I do, so I decided it would be best to find my ducks a home with a pond.  And so the story ends with "Once upon a time, I had ducks."  Oh, but they were happy, very well pampered ducks and I know whenever they quacked they were saying "YES, we love living here!"
 You can find some of these at my Etsy Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment